Halloween in Snellville is the one day in every year when the regular order of things gets a thorough shaking up. For one thing, it’s the single day of the year when we expect our doorbell to be ringing non-stop for hours on end. It’s certainly the only time when prudence dictates that we stockpile bowls full of treats to serve as ransom payments against demands for booty from an onslaught of pint-sized masked neighbors.
For Snellville’s small fry, if all goes well, Snellville’s Halloween ranks right up there with birthdays in terms of fun and excitement—possibly because of the aura of good-natured bounds-testing that seems to hover over the proceedings. When else does everybody get to dress up in disguises? When else might some perfectly dignified adult don an eyepatch and start talking like a pirate? When else does practically the whole of Snellville agree to engage in a tradition that disrupts the normal order of things for the express purpose of just having some fun? Who thought this thing up, anyway?
Don’t for get the theme music while giving out treats!
For parents who may or may not find themselves costumed this Tuesday, the fun will be somewhat tempered by the grownup’s job of keeping everybody safe amid the spooky mayhem. Without spoiling the fun altogether, the most-noted Halloween safety concerns for Snellville homeowners are:
- Keep your property’s walkway and stairways well-lit.
- Place pumpkins and other Halloween decorations well off to the side to prevent them from becoming tripping hazards.
- Secure pets away from the mayhem. Even the best-behaved pets may lose their cool after hours of doorbell ringing and screaming kids.
- Avoid homemade treats and loose candy—parents can’t trust them.
- Don’t leave treats outdoors for the kids to take. They can be tampered with (or taken all at once).
Health authorities aren’t shy about advising parents to temper their little goblins’ candy intake. One good tactic: reserve a particularly enticing new toy to trade for a goodly amount of the sugary swag.
Here’s hoping your family has a safe and moderately sane Snellville Halloween. As soon as things get back to normal, The Tate Realty Group will be here, ready to assist with your next Snellville real estate venture!